Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Mountains of Faith

Well, we made it! We are here in Switzerland and are absolutely loving the Swiss Alps. It is so weird to think that just five days ago, I was back home in Sandy, Utah! It is a different world here. I feel so foreign and outlandish as everywhere I turn, a new language is being spoken. It has been really neat and interesting for me to meet so many people from lands I didn't even know existed. Although everyone has such different stories and backgrounds, everyone here seems to be happy and content about where they're at in life right now. There is something about this mystic place that it magically inspiring. It makes me believe that there IS some good in our confusing and shaken-up world. There IS a little bit of peace, and there CAN be joy found all around us.

Upon arrival, we were surrounded by gargantuan waterfalls. Everywhere we look, there is a new one to see; there are broad ones, narrow ones, enormous ones, and trickling ones. Even from sitting out on our little balcony in the apartment, I can count five within my view. Yesterday, Emily's sister Natalie and I took Emma Claire up to one of the biggest within walking distance. We hiked up a long, pathway, went through a "mysterious, solve-a-mystery tunnel" (quote by Claire), and up the slick stairway to the most beautiful waterfall of all! We were right underneath it and were getting soaked! Claire loved the adventure, and we had a blast too!
Today was absolutely incredible. We took a hike that pretty much took all day. We had to take two cable cars to get there, and we were almost to the very tip top of the Alps! Claire was complaining that her ears kept popping, but once we got there, everything was ok. This hike was unlike any I'd ever been on. First of all, with how many people are here in the Alps, you'd think there'd be lots of other hikers all around you, but that was certainly not the case. I guess there are just soo many different things to do, see, and experience here, so no one is ever on the same trail. These mountains are HUGE!!! At one point, I literally had to pinch myself to make sure I was actually experiencing what I thought I was. We turned around a corner and this whole GREEN valley opened up! Everything was so open and green and beautiful! Random cows and sheep are just hangin' out wherever they feel so inclined to! The wildflowers were gorgeous, and there are fun little stops around every corner for kids to stop and take a break. There were things like old churches to explore and learn about, playgrounds, and restaurants overlooking the unbelievable view. Claire, Nat, and I especially enjoyed a little, secluded zip-line, all set up and ready-to-go for us.

It has been so wonderful in Switzerland so far. It is a new beauty I've yet to experience, even in Utah's famous Rocky Mountains. Although I'm a bit homesick and miss all of you family and friends, there is so much more I know I need to explore and experience. Every once in a while, I catch myself having some fear or even doubting my own capabilities, but with all of the support, prayers, and the fascination of this new world around me, I know I could
NEVER STOP BELIEVING!



















P.S. Uploading those pics took FOREVER, and I just ate an ENTIRE German chocolate bar during this blogging session (Whoopsies! Good thing we'll be hikin' tomorrow!), so I hope ya'll like these pics! ;o

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures! Love the waterfalls! Eat another german chocolate bar for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. My gosh it is beautiful. That is the biggest bowl shaped field ever. What a cool thing to be able to be with little Claire and love her, too! I look forward to every single post so that I can actually SEE what you're doing (even tho we talk every day)! Even the cows look foreign! Miss and love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so awesome!!! I love mountains and whatnot, and those pictures and the waterfall! It's so dang cool! Looks like you're having an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is SO beautiful there!!! I can't get over it, those mountains are stunning! I hope you are having a fantastic time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad that you are blogging about your experiences. I loved your last blog about your flight too. The pics are amazing. I know it is an over used word but that is how Europe it. It is amazing. I would love to be there and have a chance to hug everyone. Miss the kids and Em and you,
    Love,
    Grandma Penny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ali, Your post is beautiful from the pictures, to the words, to the beautiful girl that you are inside and out! We are so happy that are getting to experience so many neat things, (and a little jealous too)! We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much, everyone! :) Ang, you KNOW I will, there's no stoppin' me now! lol Brad and Derek, I am having a great time, yes! I know you two would really truly love it here! You need to somehow make it over to Switzerland. The skiing is supposed to be fabulous, Brad! ;) Gram, I'll hug the kids for you and call you again soon! And Linds, you are so sweet and make me feel so great! Love and miss you! xo

    ReplyDelete