Saturday, June 26, 2010

Paragliding Over the Swiss Alps

"Something has changed within me.
Something is not the same.
I'm through with playing by the rules
Of someone else's game.
Too late for second-guessing.
Too late to go back to sleep.
It's time to trust my instincts,
Close my eyes: and leap!"

All my life, I've been totally complacent with following the rules, with accepting that I'm just an average girl who happens to be very passionate about lots of things. I would never do anything crazy, I would always be on my very best behavior, and let's be honest...
I am a straight up rule-follower.
The last day we were in the Switzerland, Natalie (Em's sister who has been with us) decided it would be a good idea to go ahead and sign up to go paragliding. 6,000 feet above the ground.
Of course, the moment I heard she was going, I was a little jealous for two reasons:
1) That she is the type of person who can just spontaneously decide to do something like this.
2) That she can afford it!
She then proceeded to invite me to go along with her, but like always, my decision was already made. There is no way. I, me, play-by-the-rules Ali Monsen could never do something like that.
Then I got thinking, and something totally dawned on me! I had this crazy epiphany that maybe these "rules" I've been following aren't even rules. Maybe they are merely my own benighted ideas. Maybe they are limitations that I have made for my own self... think about it! No one can limit me unless I let them, no circumstance can be too much for me unless I let it be, right?!
Well those days are over!! That is NOT who I want to be! I am only gonna be 18 and in the Swiss Alps once, and I wasn't about to pass this one up. I was soofreakingscared. I told Nat and Emily that I really truly knew I was going to die. I had written up letters to my family and closest friends in case I didn't make it...
But I was going to do this.
"I'm through accepting limits
'Cause someone says they're so.
Some things I cannot change
But till I try, I'll never know!"
We got up to the top of the mountain
and met our pilots/flying partners. My guy was named Ulli, he grew up in the Alps and had been flying for 25 years. I told him that if I died, my dad would hunt him down. He said, "Don't worry, Ali. You will be just fine. Just don't stop running when we take off. Run as fast as you can down the mountain, and do not hinder. GO FOR IT!"
I trusted Ulli; I had no choice but to trust him because it was too late to go back now!
We started to run. We ran faster and faster. My heart was a ticking bomb about to burst. Tears of complete fright streamed down, across my face, and into Ulli's.
And then it happened.
We majestically lifted off the ground and into the air! My tears of horror and fear suddenly turned into tears of overwhelming emotion rushing through my body. I was literally speechless. It was the first time in my life that I truly couldn't speak no matter how hard I tried. I was in awe at the beauty and at my own courage. It was almost a spiritual, ambrosial experience, unlike anything I've ever done. Ulli was a little worried because I wasn't responding to his questions, but after a little while, words came back to me and I had FUN!!!

The ride lasted about 20 minutes and I have to say...
I am so glad I didn't pass this one up.
Never again will I accept limits or take the time/chances I have for granted.
No matter what age or stage we are in at this point in our lives, may we remember to never limit ourselves, to live life to the fullest, and to defy gravity.

12 comments:

  1. ALI... WAY TO GO. I'm glad you did it. I've always wanted to do that but I'm not sure if I could actually bring myself to do it. It looks like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you and so glad you had fun! I'm also glad you made it back safely, because I knew your parents would kill me if anything happened. Here's to more European adventures (maybe closer to the ground).

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so jealous!! this looks like a lot of fun, i'm glad you decided to go for it! haha and i'm sure germany is going nuts right about now, they destroyed england today... stay away from the pubs, ya hear?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! it looks like you are having an awesome time over there! We love your cute blog and will try to keep up with your busy life! Hope you are not being homesick, but just having the time of your life. You are right - these times will never come again so just try to enjoy them and relish each minute. We love and miss you! E and S Bryner

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I was as brave as you! Your pics are amazing - I hope you are enjoying every second of your adventure. We all miss you and hopefully you are having so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my gosh Ali! wow I loved this post. I've got to admit you made me a little teary eyed! I don't know why...maybe your words, the songs, I think you hit right on the point of life...taking chances, living life out loud, and having a great time. I sure hope Ashlyn gets to experience and feel all that you have at 18! I wish I had earlier...Loved your pics. soooo proud of your "leap of faith!" YOu are so cute!

    p.s thanks for your well wishes for Layla and Ashlyn...we haven't found her yet...Ashlyn is STILL crying. so sad. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alex. You know how dad and I feel about what you did. NOT GOOD. (Ok....that was dad talking)! However,... I am sooo happy for you! That must have been a TRUE adrenaline rush to actually lose your ability to speak! In the 18 years I've know you that has NEVER ONCE happenned. Describing it on the phone to me was one thing, but actually SEEING the pictures is another! Wow! I must say I am a bit jealous of your adventures. I am SO happy you are having these experiences though because that has been my one regret! Please, however DON'T do anything like that again. For REALS Dad is super unhappy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is awesome! I ran into your mom at the pool right after so talked to you on the phone. I am glad that you did it and weren't TOO scaried. I would have been super scared. Live it up girl! Love the blog, thanks for keeping me updated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yay ali! brave girl. so happy you're discovering what life is all about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, guys! You're all so great; I'm glad (most of) you approve! haha :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Girl...
    You are making me so jealous, yet so PROUD of your experience from a far... Keep making AMAZING memories...
    LUV U!!!
    Mims

    ReplyDelete