Saturday, July 3, 2010

Learning to Lean

Hey guys, sorry it's been a while since the last update! As most of you family and friends know, I've been having a bit of traumatic tooth troubles. For those of you who I don't talk to daily, I've had lots of tooth pain ever since I got here but kept ignoring it. Well, it finally got to the point that I couldn't stand it anymore and the painkillers weren't really helping, so we had no choice but to go to a dentist here in Germany. Ah! It turns out that yes, I needed a root canal and it had to be done immediately.

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm petrified of the dentist and can't go without serious doses of anesthetics beforehand even in my own country, let alone here in Germany. Regardless, this had to be done. Trying to have faith, I decided that if I could go paragliding, surely I could handle a root canal! After Grandma Penny helped me realize this, I kept telling myself that people get this procedure done every day and are just fine, but still, my irrational fears kept returning.

Emily was so sweet and thoughtul though; she found someone who could give me a blessing before going in. It was such an amazing experience to be able to obtain such comfort through that. One thing that was said that really stood out to me was that even though those I'm closest to aren't here, I can still lean on them and they can still bring me comfort through all of their prayers and faith. I felt so much strength and knew I would be able to do it!

Once I got there, everything just sort of fell into place. My iPod, which was broken, started working just in time (and it worked just for the hour I was in the dentist chair--crazy!) Cute Em gave me a shoulder rub and got me relaxed, and the yellow walls made me feel a little sunnier (Clearly, I was trying to look for the good in the situation! haha)! After a few attempts (as usual) of numbing me up, I was finally ready to go and it all went just fine! I was so relieved.

Over the course of the last few days, I've developed a little infection, but I'm sure it's no biggie! I'm talking ultra-strong antibiotics and lots of pain meds, so I'm happy as can be!!!! ;) I'm sure it'll get better from here on out and things are just gonna be okay!

I feel so blessed to not only have family here with me who has been so kind and understanding, but also to have such amazing family and friends in other parts of the world who've given me the strength I've needed. Thank you soo much, everybody, for your prayers, fasts, and faith. I love you and know that through Heavenly Father and those I love, I'll be able to get through this one! Above all, thanks for teaching me that sometimes it's okay to lean on others, that that is what family and friends are for. Hopefully, I'll be able to return the favor someday. xo

7 comments:

  1. I can't believe you got a root canal! hopefully the infection will clear up soon... have a happy 4th of july!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I still remember your dentist story you told in seminary once, glad you made it through another visit relatively unscathed :) and good lesson too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Ali!
    Life is so ironic isn't it? I, of ALL people, understand what you have been going through! I am SOOOO glad that you had Emily to help you through this. She is rational and kind and I know she really LISTENED to your fears. We really have been praying....all of your brothers too! I loved that somehow you looked at the positive; ie the yellow walls. That's hard to do when some scary German dentist is looking down your mouth! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a good Blogger. I can just hear your voice and feel your fears and relief and I loved your theme music(on all your blogs). Yes, you were in our thoughts and prayers also and we are glad that it is over and we hope that things can finally just settle for you and that you can enjoy what you have there. I love you
    Grandma Penny

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha Brad, I can't either! Thanks, you too! Derek, I really have had soo many crazy dentist stories, I can't even remember which one I told! You may have to refresh my memory! haha Mommy and Grandma, thank you soo much. You two really who what/who got me through this. Thank you for listening to all my my dramatic, crying calls and for helping me so much! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried commenting this morning! (didn't work!)

    Ali- I am PROUD of you. Really I am. That's tough what u were going through... and guess what?!?! YOu DID it. Way to go!!!

    I so can't wait for Bear Lake, seriously the BEST family reunion EVER! We will fill our LOVE pots right?! Love ya girl! xo!

    p.s Happy July!!

    ReplyDelete